From science and math to art and music, teachers impact the lives of our young society each and every day. In many ways, teachers provide the building blocks to a successful future for our children and provide a sound foundation of both academics and creativity.
In honor of World Teacher’s Day, we’re sharing some fun facts about how teachers not only impact the lives of millions of students across the globe, but our entire world.
- There are over 7.2 million teachers in the United States.
- 46 percent of teachers work more than 20 hours per week outside of class doing unpaid tasks like grading papers and running extracurricular activities.
- Teachers spend an average of 45 minutes per day
- 2 million public school teachers educate the near 50 million students in the American public school system from pre-K to high school.
- Apart from parents, teachers are the main source of knowledge and values for children.
- Researchers note a teacher should be compared to other high stress jobs like air traffic controllers, firefighters or pilots.
- About 92.4 percent of teachers spend their own money on their students or classrooms.
- Since 1950, there has been a 96 percent increase in students and a 252 percent increase in teaching staff.
- Approximately 147,000 new teachers are hired each year to serve the growing population.
Don’t forget to thanks the teachers in your life today!
Editor’s Note: Statistic for this article we taken from facts.randomhistory.com, whenigrowupbooks.com, SheerID.com, creditdonkey.com and USC Rossier School of Education.