ATMs are easily one of the most convenient and efficient pieces of banking technology today, but they aren’t always safe. Next time you’re on your way to the cabin or airport and need some quick cash or need to make a deposit, follow these tips to make your convenient banking as safe as possible:
- Always be aware of your surroundings before you begin your automated banking and stay alert throughout your transaction.
- When possible, choose an ATM in a well-lit, central location rather than in the corner of a building.
- Avoid an ATM if it appears to be unusual or tampered with in any way.
- When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running and doors locked. If possible, leave only enough space between your car and the machine for you to complete the transaction.
- Avoid having to go through your wallet or purse during a transaction, have your card ready.
- Conceal your transaction as much as possible. Memorize your PIN and cover the keypad when entering it.
- Never count cash or organize checks in public; wait until you are in a secure area or home to do so.
- Cancel your transaction if you notice anything suspicious while at an ATM.
- Remember to take all transaction receipts before leaving an ATM and make sure that the system has logged out of your account.
Need help finding an ATM? TruStone Financial members have a wide variety of ways to access their accounts. Use our ATM Finder to search for TruStone Financial branch locations, surcharge-free or deposit taking ATMs.