Whether you’re a regular jet-setter or just heading up north for the weekend, there are lots of details that go into traveling. With the summer months in full swing, be sure to stay safe with these travel tips wherever your plans may take you.
- Avoid carrying large bags and loose wallets. These items could easily be torn away from you or get stolen.
- Keep all money, credit cards, passports and other important items in a secure money pouch that is on you at all times while in transit, instead of an easily-accessible wallet or purse. While not in transit, avoid keeping all valuables in the same place.
- If you’re traveling overseas, be sure you have an EMV chip-enabled card to help protect all of your purchases. This chip is a newly implemented global standard that is equipped with a computer chip and technology to authenticate and to further protect your transactions.
- If you’re traveling with another person, make sure both of you have some cash and a credit card on hand.
- Avoid traveling or walking anywhere alone when possible. There’s safety in numbers.
- Always lock up valuables. If traveling by car, keep doors locked when the vehicle is unattended. If flying and checking a bag, use TSA-approved luggage locks to keep bags secure when allowed.
For more tips and tricks to keep your identity and data secure, visit trustonefinancial.org/protect.
Editor’s Note: Segments from this article we taken from travel.usnews.com, independenttraveler.com and investopedia.com.