Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie—from Skye in Marketing
This indulgent recipe was handed down to Skye by her mom, whose pumpkin pie is demanded by the family every Thanksgiving. You’ll want to loosen your belt for this one.
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Ingredients for crumb topping (optional):
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl. Stir in eggs.
- Gradually add milk, and mix well. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.
Directions for optional crumb topping:
- Cut flour and sugar with butter using pastry blender (or fork, if that’s all you have!)
- Stir in nuts
- Sprinkle on top of pie after it has baked for 30 minutes and filling has set, then finish baking
- If butter hasn’t finished melting once pie is fully set, you can turn off the oven and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes.
Note: watch the pie crust! If it starts to burn, cover the crust with tin foil and lower the oven temperature.